Empirical banking: methods and applications
ENSAE Master 2 – February/March 2017
Course schedule: 24 February, 3, 10, 17, 24, 31 March 2017.
4. Global banks: more stability or more contagion? The international transmission of policy and liquidity shocks.
5. The transmission of monetary policy: the bank lending channel. Also: slides of Andrade, Cahn, Fraisse and Mésonnier on impact of 2011 LTROs
Homework assignement (deadline: 15 April 2017)
You will write a 2-3 pages commentary on one of the selected papers below. Your work will take the form of a referee report for a fictitious journal. The standard outline of such a report is the following:
- short summary of the paper, its methodology and its main results (less
than one page),
- general assessment (praise and weaknesses: one paragraph)
- main comments (a series of -methodological, econometric, conceptual...- issues to be solved or improved, or important questions that need to be answered, in particular if the journal is to publish the paper)
- minor comments (a few other points)
1. Gropp, Reint; Mosk, Thomas; Ongena, Steven; Wix, Carlo, 2016. Bank response to higher capital requirements: Evidence from a quasi-natural experiment: https://www.econstor.eu/bitstream/10419/148361/1/874406994.pdf
2. Sebastian J A de-Ramon, William B Francis and Qun Harris, 2016. Bank capital requirements and balance sheet management practices: has the relationship changed after the crisis?: http://www.bankofengland.co.uk/research/Documents/workingpapers/2016/swp635.pdf
3. Lotti, Francesca and Manaresi, Francesco, (2015), Finance and creative destruction: evidence for Italy, No 299, Questioni di Economia e Finanza (Occasional Papers), Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area: http://EconPapers.repec.org/RePEc:bdi:opques:qef_299_15.
4. Claessens, Stijn, Hassib, Omar and Van Horen, Neeltje, (2017), The Role of Foreign Banks in Trade, No 11821, CEPR Discussion Papers, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers: http://EconPapers.repec.org/RePEc:cpr:ceprdp:11821.
5. Bofondi, Marcello, Carpinelli, Luisa and Sette, Enrico, (2013), Credit supply during a sovereign debt crisis, No 909, Temi di discussione (Economic working papers), Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area: http://EconPapers.repec.org/RePEc:bdi:wptemi:td_909_13.
6. Hasan, Iftekhar ; Jackowicz, Krzysztof ; Kowalewski, Oskar ; Kozlowski, Lukasz (2017). The Economic Impact of Changes in the Local Bank Presence, Working Paper, IESEG School of Management: http://d.repec.org/n?u=RePEc:pra:mprapa:76098&r=cfn
Célérier, Claire, Thomas Kick and Steven Ongena, 2016, Changes in the cost of bank equity and the supply of bank credit, August: Nov 2016 version (PDF, 372 kB)